Sunday 8 May 2011

ISLE OF MAN


Just back from a weeks break in the Isle of Man a place that I have loved since my first visit as an eight year old on a family day trip taking a steam boat trip on what seemed like a ocean going Liner from Fleetwood sailing three and a half hours over the Irish Sea.

After that first visit we started to return for two weeks each year on our family holidays, this even continued when I started to go on holiday with mates when aged 15. There was a gap once I started to travel all across the world for holidays but in the late 90's I made several visits again but that was the last time until this year.

There is something "magic" about the Island which just has around 76,500 population (which can be doubled during the summer months with visitors) These days you are most likely to travel to the Island from England by the modern Isle of Man Steam Packet Mannanan which holds up to 200 cars and 480 passengers which cuts over an hour off the journey by this fastcraft. The photograph above is one I took of Mannanan leaving Douglas for its sailing to Liverpool.

Going to the Isle of Man is like going home for me and now I am sure it is a place that I want to live and not just holiday there, I have never felt so relaxed, now I just need to win the lottery?

No comments: